Teleconsultation generally should not be performed via phone calls or text messaging unless we can be sure who is at the other end of the call or text message. For this reason doctors generally do not conduct consultations via phone calls or whatsapp. Face to face consultation in the clinic is best but where physical examination is not crucial, Teleconsultation using a proper Telemedicine platform which allows Face to Face Televisits or confirmed identity is an option when you cannot come to the clinic. .
Please note I prefer to engage in Teleconsultation with existing (follow-up) patients as per MMC Telemedicine Guidelines, and all patients are required to read and agree with the following:
I hereby consent to engage in telemedicine with Dr. Alan Teh. I understand that “Telemedicine” includes the practice of health care delivery, diagnosis, consultation, treatment, transfer of medical data, and education using interactive audio, video, or data communications in accordance with the Telemedicine Laws of Malaysia.
I understand that I have the following rights with respect to telemedicine and the limitations of telemedicine as follows:
(1) I have the right to withhold or withdraw consent at any time without affecting my right to future care or treatment nor risking the loss or withdrawal of any program benefits to which I would otherwise be entitled.
(2) The laws that protect the confidentiality of my medical information also apply to telemedicine. I understand that there will be no recording of any of the online sessions by either party. All information disclosed within sessions and written records pertaining to those sessions are confidential and may not be disclosed to anyone without written authorization, except where the disclosure is permitted and/or required by law.
(3) I understand that there are risks and consequences from telemedicine, including, but not limited to, the possibility, despite reasonable efforts on the part of my doctor, that the transmission of my medical information could be disrupted or distorted by technical failures; the transmission of my medical information could be interrupted by unauthorized persons; and/or the electronic storage of my medical information could be accessed by unauthorized persons.
(4) I understand that telemedicine based services and care may not be as complete as physical consultation. I also understand that if my doctor believes I would be better served a physical consultation, I would be advised as such.
(5) I understand that Teleconsultation is subject to the availability of the doctor .
(6) I understand that telemedicine is not appropriate for medical emergencies and that this is best sought by seeking care at an Emergency unit.
(7) The data submitted in the registration process is not shared with any third party. Dr Alan Teh may use the contact information provided in the registration process to get in touch with you from time to time. The communication may be in the form of email, including in a mailing list from which you may unsubscribe at anytime, or via text messaging.
(8) I have read and understand the information provided above.