Teleconsultation and consent
Consultation cannot be performed via email, plain text or phone calls as the messages are not encrypted (privacy), one cannot be certain of who is on the other end (identification) and there needs to be proper storage and access to medical information. For this reason doctors do not conduct consultations via email, plain text or phone calls. Face to face consultation in the clinic is best but where physical examination is not crucial Teleconsultation using a proper Telemedicine platform (which fulfils the requirements for identification, encryption and storage) is an option
Please note I prefer to engage in Teleconsultation for existing patients and all patients are required to read and sign a Telemedicine consent form. If you have not done so, please read and submit the form below
I hereby consent to engaging in telemedicine with Dr. Alan Teh. I understand that “Telemedicine” includes the practice of health care delivery, diagnosis, consultation, treatment, transfer of medical data, and education using interactive audio, video, or data communications in accordance with the Telemedicine Laws of Malaysia.
I understand that I have the following rights with respect to telemedicine and the limitations of telemedicine as follows:
(1) I have the right to withhold or withdraw consent at any time without affecting my right to future care or treatment nor risking the loss or withdrawal of any program benefits to which I would otherwise be entitled.
(2) The laws that protect the confidentiality of my medical information also apply to telemedicine. As such, I understand that the information disclosed by me during the telemedicine session is generally confidential. I also understand that the dissemination of any personally identifiable images or information from the telemedicine interaction shall not occur without my written consent.
(3) I understand that there are risks and consequences from telemedicine, including, but not limited to, the possibility, despite reasonable efforts on the part of my doctor, that the transmission of my medical information could be disrupted or distorted by technical failures; the transmission of my medical information could be interrupted by unauthorized persons; and/or the electronic storage of my medical information could be accessed by unauthorized persons.
(4) I understand that telemedicine based services and care may not be as complete as face-to-face consultation. I also understand that if my doctor believes I would be better served a face-to-face consultation, I would be advised as such.
(5) I understand that telemedicine is not appropriate for medical emergencies and that this is best sought by seeking care at an Emergency unit.
(6) I have read and understand the information provided above. I have discussed it with my doctor, and all of my questions have been answered to my satisfaction.Submitting this form means you understand and agree with the above